Re: [opensuse-ruby] Packaging rails applications for openSUSE
Quoting Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>:

On 02.08.2012 15:22, Jordi Massaguer Pla wrote:

I would go for that. I know is against how we've done things in the past
but I think you can look at rubygems as part of your application and not
part of the system.

Why would a curl gem be part of the appliaction but libcurl be part of
the system? The curl gem is just a ruby library on top of the C library.
And as a matter of fact the chances that a change in the libcurl breaks
your application are much higher than a change in the rubygem-curl.

I understand your point.

However, I have the feeling that gems are evolving very very fast, there are a lot of versions of each gems and there are a lot of gems. Thus, I do not think it is worth maintaining an rpm for every possible gem, and I am sure we agree on that, but I do not like having the restriction of only using the gems that are packaged as rpms.

I do not see this kind of restrictions in ruby clouds, for example heroku. Thus from a developer point of view it is not very attractive to develop for a system that has restrictions on which gems I can use.

The curb gem was not a good example as it relies on an external library, but this is not the case of most of the gems.

regards

jordi