Re: [opensuse-ruby] Fwd: [obs submit-request 127033] openSUSE:Factory/puppet-dashboard:, declined by coolo
On 17.07.2012 14:25, James Tan wrote:

Puppet upstream is distributing their apps this way (bundling), same
with Chef. So why do we want to create extra work by forcing packagers
to extract these and repackage them? I did this for Chef and ended up
with ~50 rubygem packages [1]. Is it worth the time and effort? What do
we gain from doing this? This is the discussion that I would like to have.

It makes sense for upstream to do that, so you can get it up and running
quickly. But as a distribution, it does not make sense to bundle
everything with everything. After all, it's appliances makers
that cry for "make it smaller, share more" all the time. And after that
we defined our policies.