Re: [opensuse-ruby] rails 3 performance
On 20.03.2012 14:06, Josef Reidinger wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:00:17 +0100
Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Now that I have the initial port of obs api to rails 3 finished, I
consider staying forever on rails2 :)

I have this little benchmark that I initially wrote to check if it's
worth talking to the API in json instead of the usual XML:

Usually using different xml implementation then rexml in rails help a lot.

prjs = DbProject.find :all
x = Benchmark.realtime { prjs.each { |p| p.expand_flags.to_json } }
y = Benchmark.realtime { prjs.each { |p| p.to_axml('flagdetails') }
puts "#{x} #{y}"

And indeed with rails 2.3.14, it shows json is good:
0.108472093 0.379935258

But now with rails 3.2.1 both are slower ;(
0.515888469 1.334631859

Interesting, I think this deserve investigation why it is.
Do you have identic scenario? Could you profile run?

Between the runs I only switch branch, both are working against the same
set of fixtures against the same database.

Attached are two perftools pictures - the rails32 sample has 62% GC,
which appears like madness to me.

List Navigation
Follow Ups