Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-releaseteam (6 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-releaseteam] "Du" or "Sie", that is the question

Am 18.11.19 um 10:04 schrieb Ludwig Nussel:
Sarah Julia Kriesch schrieb:
the German Translation Team has crazy ideas I have to forward.
We have a discussion on our mailing list[0] because of using "Sie" and
not "Du" for speaking with our users. Our suggestion is to switch to
"Du" in the openSUSE-welcome application and to conduct UX tests in the
German community. openSUSE-welcome is only on openSUSE Tumbleweed at the
moment and contains a small po file. Therefore, that is an excellent
application to test how our German users are accepting this salutation.

The "Du" is expanding in Germany at the moment. I receive this offer at
most conferences. Microsoft and Amazon are using that in their German
translation, too. Should we give it a try?

Whether or not Du is acceptable depends on context, target audience
and culture IMO. For some consumer products Du is probably
acceptable and for stuff like Alexa likely intentional so it doesn't
feel like a stranger in your flat. For anything serious I'd find
that unprofessional. I wouldn't want a tool or a machine talk to me
like a buddy. For German I'd generally go for passive anyways.

That is the reason for User Experience Tests before doing that
everywhere. :)
I have asked different people how their feeling would be after a "Du" by
a system. People with IT experience said: "I prefer the "Do" and like that."
People with low IT experience said: ""Du" by a system? I don't accept
that in the real life by unknown people, too."
Therefore, I am unsure. Most Linux users are IT experienced people. But
we habe Linux newbies in the community, too. So we can receive their
feedback, too.
I agree we should not do all in one step.
My plan would be:
1) Christian Imhorst is allowed to change all from "Sie" to "Du" in the
opensuse-welcome.po, because he had the idea.
2) I create a poll and ask our community on different mailing lists
after their opinion.
3) If they want to keep that and want to have all in this kind of
translation we can think about changing all. If they want to have "Sie"
we can execute "git reset --hard
e4e5a93b8f4e07099e12f289b9c8317622db21c7"

If we follow after other German software translations, we have to pay
attention to other affected Linux distributions:
1) SLES/SLED

That would be the first group to check with. It would be highly counter
productive if SUSE needs to fork SLE translations again.

2) Debian, because they are using some of our translations (some
openSUSE Members are Debian Contributors because of that ;))
3) Translations for different Desktops have to be changed and "all"
Desktop Linux distributions are affected.

What is your opinion about the first step with the UX test for
openSUSE-welcome?

openSUSE-welcome is targeting newbies, TW only and makes the connection
to social media. So using Du could be perfectly fine for it. Doesn't
mean the experience can be extrapolated to other components.

Should we test that with openSUSE-welcome on Tumbleweed? We can watch
that and decide later about the next step.
cu
Ludwig

Best regards,
Sarah