Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-releaseteam (9 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-releaseteam] Re: Packages you maintain are present in openSUSE:Leap:15.0

On 30/05/18 19:24, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Dirk Mueller wrote:
On Dienstag, 29. Mai 2018 15:35:34 CEST Ludwig Nussel wrote:

Hi Ludwig,

- Base:System/acct
[hundreds more]
$ osc meta pkg Base:System acct
<person userid="kstreitova" role="bugowner"/>

I have no idea what you're trying to tell me, can you explain? katharina is
correctly set as bugowner. as she is a SUSE employee, it would make sense to
set her as maintainer (aka bugowner) for leap as well, right?

Leap has no dedicated maintainers. It's all inherited from Factory
and the output of "osc maintainer" counts, rather than any personal
interpretation of the data.

in OBS the "bugowner" describs the package owner (it is the person the bug
should be assigned to). the maintainer is just someone who has write access
the package. For details, see https://en.opensuse.org/
openSUSE:Package_maintainership_guide. I am not sure why I have write access
to the package as I'm already a package maintainer for it but I do indeed
regulary review package submissions (so a maintainer role makes sense). that
doesn't make me the designated go to person for security / maintenance
update
requests though (difference between reviewer and package maintainer (aka the
person doing the work) here).

SLE has bug owners only due to lack of devel projects. Factory has
maintainers. The bug owner is in the worst case just the one who
triages bug reports. That is not exactly new. The only news is that
the notification mail brings to people's attention of what they are
actually responsible for. Which is surprising to ones like you who
managed to add themselves as maintainer to thousands of packages.

The notification mail did not refer to maintenance and security
updates at all. It just asked to review the packages you are
responsible for to check whether everything is correct in Leap.
Taking acct as example again, if Katarina is the actual package
maintainer then don't add yourself as maintainer also. You are
project maintainer so can and have to act as backup anyways. Any
notifications, bot reviews etc would always go to an explicitly set
maintainer if there is one.

Within my SLE packaging team we are all told to make sure we are the
bugowner for the factory devel package in obs as well as ibs so bugowner
is likely right in many cases for openSUSE as well.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30