[opensuse-project] Working on Foundation & Governance
  • From: Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2020 20:22:47 +0200
Hi all,

as you can see in the minutes [1] for the last board meeting on 2020-08-04 we
once again talked about the long standing topic of an openSUSE foundation.
This came up in the light of the past months and the recent thread on this
mailing list where governance structures were discussed. [2]

Quoting the minutes "We need to broaden the group of people working on
foundation" this is where we want to give the topic a push here on project ML.
To give everyone an overview of what is done until now I condensed documents
floating around in the wiki at "Current state". [3]

*The why*
The openSUSE community has the reputation of being progressive and thriving in
terms of technical aspects. This is where the "do-ocracy" works impressively.
Yet our organizational structure sometimes lacks behind, which is why we need
to talk.

There are good reasons for an independent openSUSE legal entity that have been
already been discussed extensively before. Yet this comes with governance
structures being not only necessary but also obligate. Having had structural
challenging times recently and an obvious need from the community for
progressive discussions makes the picture complete somehow.
So throwing both topics together is just a logical consequence there.

*To do*
So I hereby invite everyone interested to chime in. Please get to know what's
already been done on the first hand. And then give input, constructive
criticism and ideas on both parts of the story - Foundation and Governance.

*A few thoughts on the practical side*
To add comments on the existing stuff it might be good to copy text to some
etherpad for collaborative work. If desired we also can set up a conference
call or even revive the pre-existing mailing list. [4] [5]

Looking forward to healthy and interesting discussions!

vinz.

[1] https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2020-08/msg00064.html
[2] https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2020-07/msg00085.html ff.
[3] https://en.opensuse.org/Portal:Foundation