Re: Governance Model Was: [opensuse-project] Non-Confidence Petition
On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 01:11, Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
That is why I appreciate Klaas' initiative to talk about the governance model.
Lets put this into the whole foundation context that keeps popping up from
time to time:

1. The new openSUSE Board (after the election) decides to dissolve
itself in the current form at a specific date in lets say 15 month later.
2. A group of people of community and SUSE company is formed to work on
a proposal for a new governance model for openSUSE, in tight cooperation
with SUSE. The board as an institution does not have a saying in this,
only individual contributors (which can be board members of course).
3. The new governance model will become reality on day one after the
current board dissolved itself, or, if there is none, the project will
be dissolved completely and people can fork parts or whatever.

Maybe this will finally generate enough dynamic on all involved sides to
stop bickering and answer the important questions.

Yes, I mostly agree as I see hardly any serious (publicly visible) activity
from a reasonable number of community people. It's mostly Simon Lees who
pushed on that topic. On the other hand SUSE is already involved but not very
active as well. And I can't blame them for that. Why should SUSE push on
changing something they are satisfied by in the status quo.

I could never support waiting for governance to dissolve before we elect
the new governance though, this opens up the project to a wide array of
abuse, since the current board acts on disagreements and guiding
principles violations between community members.

I have been in support of coming up with another governance model/role
in the community before all this happened, and have been looking around
for one that might result in more interest in being elected, so it
would be cool to discuss those things and start some working group so we
can come up with something concrete.

I expect these talk will require a lot of cooperation with SUSE

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world