Governance Model Was: [opensuse-project] Non-Confidence Petition
  • From: Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2020 01:11:03 +0200
Hi,

Am Samstag, 18. Juli 2020, 23:08:32 CEST schrieb Carlos E. R.:
But I agree with the others, too: "We had enough discussions about this
topic and should look forward."
Yes.

Yes and no.
On the non-confidence motion I agree. Everyone can make their own assumptions
and live more or less happy with them. (Hence the changed topic.)

But on the general picture of this community I want to emphasize what Sarah
wrote in some way:

Therefore, especially the Board "and we" have to learn from that what has
happened.

The crucial bit here is "and we". The board does not operate and live in some
empty space here. It serves the community on particular tasks but in the end
it's just part of the whole openSUSE ecosystem.

This whole non-confidence motion story brought up flaws we never had to face
before. So, yelling "CAN WE PLEASE PUT THIS BEHIND US NOW?" won't work for the
overall topic. (It sure is good for mental hygiene regarding this list's
tonality, but that's a different story.)
But we can't just put this behind us but have to draw conclusions in a
progressive and constructive way. E.g. the election officials had to knit a
process for the petition with bylaws that never had such thing in mind. This
needs to be fixed.

That is why I appreciate Klaas' initiative to talk about the governance model.
Lets put this into the whole foundation context that keeps popping up from
time to time:

1. The new openSUSE Board (after the election) decides to dissolve
itself in the current form at a specific date in lets say 15 month later.
2. A group of people of community and SUSE company is formed to work on
a proposal for a new governance model for openSUSE, in tight cooperation
with SUSE. The board as an institution does not have a saying in this,
only individual contributors (which can be board members of course).
3. The new governance model will become reality on day one after the
current board dissolved itself, or, if there is none, the project will
be dissolved completely and people can fork parts or whatever.

Maybe this will finally generate enough dynamic on all involved sides to
stop bickering and answer the important questions.

Yes, I mostly agree as I see hardly any serious (publicly visible) activity
from a reasonable number of community people. It's mostly Simon Lees who
pushed on that topic. On the other hand SUSE is already involved but not very
active as well. And I can't blame them for that. Why should SUSE push on
changing something they are satisfied by in the status quo.

So, to conclude: community people interested in and willing to do some
discussion work should gather rather sooner than later. Consider me as one of
them.

vinz.