Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Discord
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 16:23, Ronan Arraes Jardim Chagas <ronisbr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

Just to add to the discussion: have you already thought about Zulip?
Julia community is moving from Slack to Zulip and the experience has
been very good so far. Furthermore, Zulip is 100% open source, with
Apache 2 license.

I very specifically stated why Slack and Slack alternatives like
RocketChat and Zulip are a terrible choice for communities, but I can
repeat myself:

No user will use a chat platform for one community, we either use a
centralized platform with split communities concept or a federated
approach so we can join into a bigger ecosystem with our own server. We
are currently doing both, Discord with centralized approach with guilds
as the split communities and Matrix, with federated approach and our
matrix.opensuse.org homeserver (also Apache-2.0 licensed btw).

If your community doesn't foresee new people to take part in development
and you have another way of doing tech support, Slack clones are
perfect. However, we are an inclusive community that appreciates input
of anybody that is willing to help us, therefore we will empower people
to join by not being separated from the rest of the internet.

For the same reasons we are looking closely at Pagure, because thanks to
the efforts of implementing forgefed, we will be able to easily work
with other communities using Pagure, federation is pretty cool ;)

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world