Re: [opensuse-project] Non-Confidence Petition
  • From: Sarah Julia Kriesch <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2020 18:18:15 +0200

Gesendet: Samstag, 18. Juli 2020 um 13:47 Uhr
Von: "Vojtěch Zeisek" <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Betreff: Re: [opensuse-project] Non-Confidence Petition

Dne sobota 18. července 2020 13:20:42 CEST, Stefan Seyfried napsal(a):
Am 17.07.20 um 15:29 schrieb Richard Brown:
The recent petition has clearly shown that almost 90%
of the Project has confidence in the current Board and
their previously stated direction and intent.

I disagree.

It has shown that only 10% of the members think that throwing,
brexit-style, the biggest wrench they can find into the gearbox,
would be a good idea.
There is no indication that 90% of the members think the current
setup is the best idea since sliced bread.

You can't distinguished who for whatever reason ignored the petition (without
(much) thinking about it), and how many actively decided *not/ to support the
petition.
The rules were clear from the beginning - convince 20% of members to support
the petition. Starters and supporters of the petition failed in this. So that
IMHO speculations and statistical or sociological discussions can't change
clear democratic decision. See e.g. much much attention average referenda
attracts in various countries. If ~50%, it's great success.
The results do not say anything about possible future changes in the project.
But it might be good starting point for future discussion. The question must
be "What *do* we wish?" and not "What we *do not* wish?".
The Board should learn from what had (has?) happened in past ~half year and
whole project *must* move forward, otherwise it might die painful death in
crappy personal fights...

Thank you for this nice explanation!
The petition is done and we are not able to change that. We have to accept it.
Therefore, especially the Board "and we" have to learn from that what has
happened.
I agree with Seife and Carlos. 11,6% is not "nobody". That is a small part of
the community and more than 1 person.
In my opinion, the Board should accept that as a feedback and (as Klaas said)
they should think about their decisions in the past.
That is more something as a second chance.

But I agree with the others, too: "We had enough discussions about this topic
and should look forward."

Best regards,
Sarah

--