Re: [opensuse-project] Wanted: New hosting for opensuse-community.org
On Thu, 2020-04-16 at 17:45 +0200, Martin Schlander wrote:
Dear community

We need new hosting for the opensuse-community.org website as Bruno
"tigerfoot" Friedmann can't host it anymore for personal reasons.

If you're not familiar with the site, it's just a basic place for
hosting
information and one-click installers for multimedia codecs, the YaST
Community
Repositories "feed" and similar things. For legal reasons it's better
to have
these things at arm's length outside the official openSUSE
infrastructure.
However outside the United States I'm pretty sure there should be no
legal
concerns about hosting this content (note: IANAL). It's been hosted
by
different individuals in a couple of different European countries for
a decade
or more now with zero issues.

The technical requirements are next to none. Maybe a few megabytes of
storage
required for static html/css and a few xml files. I assume there's a
substantial number of hits/visits, but I don't have statistics.
However the
files are very small, so the amount of data traffic shouldn't be
overwhelming.

I'm willing to continue to maintain the content, if I can get access
to the
new hosting via ftp or whatever.

So if you're interested in taking over the hosting, don't hesitate to
step up,
and Bruno will assist with transferring the domain and any other
formalities.

Why not statically host it through github or gitlab pages? It's free,
including TLS through lets-encrypt, and all you have to do to publish a
change is 'git push'.

https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/pages/

--
James Mason