Re: [opensuse-project] Wanted: New hosting for opensuse-community.org
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2020 18:27:06 +0200
Martin Schlander wrote:

Dear community

We need new hosting for the opensuse-community.org website as Bruno
"tigerfoot" Friedmann can't host it anymore for personal reasons.

If you're not familiar with the site, it's just a basic place for
hosting information and one-click installers for multimedia codecs,
the YaST Community Repositories "feed" and similar things. For legal
reasons it's better to have these things at arm's length outside the
official openSUSE infrastructure. However outside the United States
I'm pretty sure there should be no legal concerns about hosting this
content (note: IANAL). It's been hosted by different individuals in a
couple of different European countries for a decade or more now with
zero issues.

The technical requirements are next to none. Maybe a few megabytes of
storage required for static html/css and a few xml files. I assume
there's a substantial number of hits/visits, but I don't have
statistics. However the files are very small, so the amount of data
traffic shouldn't be overwhelming.

I'm willing to continue to maintain the content, if I can get access
to the new hosting via ftp or whatever.

So if you're interested in taking over the hosting, don't hesitate to
step up, and Bruno will assist with transferring the domain and any
other formalities.

Hi Martin

I'll be happy to host it here in Switzerland. (www.hostsuisse.com).
You can have ftp and ssh access.