Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Goodbye Board
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 20:08, Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dne sobota 29. února 2020 19:26:14 CET, Stasiek Michalski napsal(a):
We might have dug ourselves into a hole here by actually making
board solely about politics. openSUSE is not just politics as
shocking as that might seem, and I don't know if making project
guidance purely political makes that much sense then.

I'm not sure if we speak same language here... The Board *is* political bureau
in the sense it's democratically voted organ supposed to lead the openSUSE
project according to public interest expressed by voters selecting their
desired candidates. I.e. there is no objectively defined (technical) aim where
the project goes to. The future is unclear, the direction towards it is aimed
by smart involved people, so that there is significant political component.

It is *just* political, that's the problem, there will undeniably always
be a political component to the board, that's obvious. However that also
means we choose the board members based on their contributions to the
project, which are irrelevant to the work they are doing on the board,
because they don't (and based on the current structure shouldn't) have
any more influence over their areas of interest than before they become
board members. That means board members choose to become board members
out of goodness of their hearts, more than because they want to change
something or become even more involved with the area of interest.

We should probably ask ourselves why was the board originally
created the way it was, and does the board's current structure
make sense in the current openSUSE Project, 15 years later.

Yes. It might be altered. But it must be done with calm heads and with good
reasoning. We surely do need some kind of Board.

We sure do, and I hope the current order survives long enough to be
replaced with something else, otherwise we are in major trouble.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world