Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Goodbye Board
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 20:08:02 +0100
Dne sobota 29. února 2020 19:26:14 CET, Stasiek Michalski napsal(a):
On Sat, Feb 29, 2020 at 19:17, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne sobota 29. února 2020 15:09:06 CET, Stefan Seyfried napsal(a):
This whole thread just serves to reinforce my decision to never
ever again run for the openSUSE board...

I can understand this point of view, but... the project must be
managed somehow, and voting board from community members IMHO
isn't bad idea... So... how to manage the project? Any better
formalisable idea than what we already have? "Political culture"
is hard to formalize (and enforce), but can we improve our own
rules to as much as possible avoid any future (such) issues?

We might have dug ourselves into a hole here by actually making
board solely about politics. openSUSE is not just politics as
shocking as that might seem, and I don't know if making project
guidance purely political makes that much sense then.

I'm not sure if we speak same language here... The Board *is* political bureau
in the sense it's democratically voted organ supposed to lead the openSUSE
project according to public interest expressed by voters selecting their
desired candidates. I.e. there is no objectively defined (technical) aim where
the project goes to. The future is unclear, the direction towards it is aimed
by smart involved people, so that there is significant political component.

We should probably ask ourselves why was the board originally
created the way it was, and does the board's current structure
make sense in the current openSUSE Project, 15 years later.

Yes. It might be altered. But it must be done with calm heads and with good
reasoning. We surely do need some kind of Board.

--
Vojtěch Zeisek
https://trapa.cz/

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu