[opensuse-project] Re: Goodbye Board
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 19:03:40 -0000 (UTC)
On Sat, 29 Feb 2020 19:17:55 +0100, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:

how to manage the project? Any better formalisable idea than what we
already have? "Political culture" is hard to formalize (and enforce),
but can we improve our own rules to as much as possible avoid any future
(such) issues?

I think the implementation of some bylaws (which we seem to be missing)
would be a step in the right direction.

Right now our governance model includes a board and an appointed
treasurer. We're supposed to have bylaws, but I have not been able to
find them documented anywhere.

As I understand it (and I'm no expert on how non-profits are run), it's
standard practice to have a published budget and a set of bylaws that
outline the various roles, responsibilities, and processes used in
governance.

I think that's the root of the problem here; we apparently don't have any
bylaws, and the board operates under the principles of "just trust that
we're doing the right thing" - which makes it impossible for there to be
any accountability, and results in requests for accountability and
transparency being taken as personal attacks - in the line of "why don't
you trust us?"

--
Jim Henderson