Re: [opensuse-project] Notes from the board on the recent thread
  • From: "Sarah Julia Kriesch" <ada.lovelace@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 19:35:59 +0100

Gesendet: Samstag, 29. Februar 2020 um 02:21 Uhr
Von: "Marina Latini" <deneb_alpha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
An: "oS Project" <opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Betreff: [opensuse-project] Notes from the board on the recent thread

Dear Community,

several members asked for a clarification and, even if we tried to
keep the desired confidentiality as already mentioned in the other
threads, there are not many alternatives to (at least) partially
disclosing what happened in the last weeks.

What guided the decision taken were our community guiding principles
and code of conduct.

https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Guiding_principles

"We value respect for other persons and their contributions, for other
opinions and beliefs. We listen to arguments and address problems in a
constructive and open way. We believe that a diverse community based
on mutual respect is the base for a creative and productive
environment enabling the project to be truly successful. We don't
tolerate social discrimination and aim at creating an environment
where people feel accepted and safe from offense."

For the second time Sarah significantly breached the guiding
principles and how she chose to deal with this situation led to 2/3rds
of board members believing that she should step down from her role
within the board.

I did not breach the guiding principles.
I wrote an email to the openSUSE Board because of a conflict on
opensuse-project. I wrote that that has happened in the past really often with
that person.
Therefore, I had asked the Board for support. Gerald asked me for an
explanation. I don't write to the Board without any reasons.
Additionally, I am working with facts which have really happened.
Someone claimed in the handover meeting that some of the reasons I gave would
be a breaching of the openSUSE guidelines.

As all of you can imagine, this decision was not an easy one, and the
board gave her the opportunity to try to solve what happened.
Unfortunately the ultimate outcome was to offer her to step down
instead of publicly removing her from the board per the openSUSE
election rules.

And that is no demacracy! I had to choose between stepping down or you would
remove me without speaking with me before about that.
You didn't discuss that with me before giving me this "choice", and AFAIK
Christian was also excluded from most discussions, and
when he was involved, you already had decided and his arguments were ignored.
He felt like his arguments were ignored.
I wanted to solve what has happened, too. But you did not want to accept my
arguments after
the decision without us. So the only acceptable option for me was stepping down.

Christian was the board member against this decision and to our regret
decided to step down.

His decision is understandable because your decisions are breaching our
guidelines.

A real leader is thinking about his decisions in such a case. That is not easy.
Most important questions are "Why" do I do smoething with "which reasons"?
Do I know all point of views? That did not happen here. I was not allowed to
explain
my point of view. Christian was excluded during most of the discussions, too.
The decision does not have any watertight argument. You can call that bossing
instead of leading.
And that is another argument for stepping down at the right time.

Best regards,
Sarah

Yours
Marina,