Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Board election 2019-2020 - Final candidates list
  • From: "Maurizio Galli (MauG)" <mauriziogalli@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 19:27:58 +0800
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 5:19 PM Richard Brown <rbrown@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 2020-01-27 at 08:12 +0100, Sarah Julia Kriesch wrote:

You are living in China. We don't have many Contributors in China and
therefore our Chinese list with Advovates
at open-source events is not really long[0] with 1 Advocate. That is
what I meant that we need more Advocates
at open-source events.

There may not be many Chinese people listed on that old crusty wiki
page but as a champion of the openSUSE Asia community I have to
strongly object to any suggestion that "we don't have many Contributors
in China"

We have a lot, and I hope none of them are insulted by the suggestion
from a Board candidate that they don't exist.

One of my most exhilerating times as a community member was meeting so
many of them in Bejing in 2014 (Group photo linked below).

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3928/15378270997_b59755f92a_b.jpg

While I haven't been able to see them as often as I'd have linked in
the years since, I see evidence of the fine work of our Chinese
contributors in every openSUSE Asia conference since and their
fingerprints all over our project, from code, to creating art, to
helping conference booths across the world.

You may be quiet and unassuming enough for Sarah to have missed you but
I want this public record to show that I know you exist, love the work
you are doing, and I'm sure you'll help us welcome Ariez to the
community with open arms.

Thank you Richard!
I'm usually a bit quiet on this ML but I'm also an openSUSE Member and
contributor [1] from Hong Kong. I will help Ariez in anyway I can :).

About about the "We don't have many Contributors in China" I also find
it to be untrue. Our openSUSE Discord server has 2 moderators from
China (including myself) and there are other openSUSE chat groups in
Chinese language using IRC and other platforms.
Also, having been to openSUSE Asia and COScon myself, I had the
pleasure to meet openSUSE Board members and many openSUSE contributors
from China and other countries in Asia.

I case there is doubt because we maybe don't participate much in ML
discussions, we do exist :)

Have a lot of fun!

[1] https://en.opensuse.org/User:Mauriziogalli

--