Re: [opensuse-project] Addressing newcomers

On 1/14/20 3:19 PM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 15:07, Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 1/14/20 4:34 AM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

 In general, I want to move everything distribution related out of
 www-o-o, and expand on it on software-o-o (which I started doing
 in [2]). We cannot possibly explain everything we need to explain on
the
 project page, so having a page that explains more about the
distribution
 in another place sounds like the way to go. As for the slogan, Get it!
 Discover it! Create it! was a thing back when the only services
openSUSE
 provided were the distribution (get it), Wiki (discover it) and OBS
 (create it). Nowadays, that's not very representative of the openSUSE
 Project.

This in itself throws up a few things, for example when targeting new
users they are likely to just think openSUSE is a distro if were lucky
maybe they'll think its 2.

In order to avoid extra confusion I think in the places we are targeting
new users using phrases and wording that are more specific to openSUSE's
Distro's makes sense. www.o.o becomes an interesting case where we
likely want some balance of both because most people hitting it are
probably interested in the distro's. Although everything else the
project does should be covered there somewhere somehow.

Unlike other distro devs, we can't spend the entire page bragging about
the distributions though, unless we send them off to some other page
first. This also gives us the opportunity to send people links to the
distributions page instead of project page if they want to learn more
about the distributions, and send people links to the project page if
they want to learn about the project instead of various scattered wiki
pages.

An alternative to what both you and Vincent are talking about which is
probably more friendly to new users is have a simple landing page which
mostly focuses on the distro's at a simple level focusing on pushing
people toward software.o.o for more detailed info.

Then it also has a reasonably clear link to "Other things the openSUSE
Project does" which sends people to a new opensuse-project.org (or some
other similar url). There are alot of "things" within the openSUSE
Project these days and listing them all on our main landing page is
probably going to confuse new people. Having an extra "project" url then
makes it easier for us so we have one url for when were mostly talking
about our distro's and one for talking about the larger project in general.

Cheers

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30