Re: [opensuse-project] Addressing newcomers

On 1/14/20 4:34 AM, Stasiek Michalski wrote:

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 18:45, Martin Winter <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I followed the discussion of the revived marketing team and also the
meeting on 8.1.2020 from the perspective of a desktop user and having
in mind people which want to switch from Windows to Linux. After
thinking about this discussion I think we could/should put even more
focus on attracting newcomers. This means that we should be more
visible also outside the established Linux and openSUSE communities
and reduce the entry hurdles.

Some proposals:

- Improve www.o.o. Some ideas below.
- Write articles or article series for computer magazines and web
sites targeted to the general user
- (I should have more ideas, but currently that's it, sorry)

This is going to be addressed when news-o-o starts being published off
Github [1]. Anybody will be able to write an article and push it there.

For the www.o.o website:

- First, write openSUSE the right way! At the German version it is
spelled OpenSUSE :(
- Improve the slogan. The German translation sounds like machine
translation and is not appealing. One idea which came to my mind was
"openSUSE: Get it! Use it! Be part of it!" linking to the download,
the documentation and the community, resp.
- Improve the links in the Tools section. They go directly into some
quite deep pages instead of first telling what this is. E.g. YaST:
yes, the linked page tells a little bit what this is. But when you go
to `Documentation` you're already at developer documentation level.
Keep the user in mind!
- Contributing: are Code and Hardware really the two options? Put more
focus on the community!
- Generally: read the page with the eyes of a user who has heard of
openSUSE recently and now wants to try it out. Give her/him everything
she/he needs!

In general, I want to move everything distribution related out of
www-o-o, and expand on it on software-o-o (which I started doing
in [2]). We cannot possibly explain everything we need to explain on the
project page, so having a page that explains more about the distribution
in another place sounds like the way to go. As for the slogan, Get it!
Discover it! Create it! was a thing back when the only services openSUSE
provided were the distribution (get it), Wiki (discover it) and OBS
(create it). Nowadays, that's not very representative of the openSUSE
Project.

This in itself throws up a few things, for example when targeting new
users they are likely to just think openSUSE is a distro if were lucky
maybe they'll think its 2.

In order to avoid extra confusion I think in the places we are targeting
new users using phrases and wording that are more specific to openSUSE's
Distro's makes sense. www.o.o becomes an interesting case where we
likely want some balance of both because most people hitting it are
probably interested in the distro's. Although everything else the
project does should be covered there somewhere somehow.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30