Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results

On 11/11/19 1:44 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:48:03 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

Having 5-50 votes saying unsure / I abstain / whatever other thing you
wanted to say wouldn't have made any difference to the way the board
interprets the result.

It would make a difference to those of us voting that we are abstaining.

As many people didn't vote as voted no.

A similar number of people voted in this vote as previous board
elections so it would be reasonable to presume that a significant
percentage of the people that didn't vote either don't like voting or
are inactive.

If more people had voted "present" than had voted "yes", that would tell
everyone something about the vote.

Fortunately in this case most people we expected to vote did if 100-150
less people voted then I think that would tell us something.

But instead, nobody was interested in listening to those of us making
that point, so more than a couple of us simply DID NOT VOTE because our
concerns were not addressed.

Not voting is a perfectly valid choice.

And now we're being told that our vote wouldn't have mattered - which is
precisely the point.

I asked questions *repeatedly* and explained why the information provided
(even after the wiki update) was insufficent for me to be able to decide
on a yes/no vote here, because the name we would change to *matters* to
me for making up my opinion.

If the proposed name was, I don't know, "GoatSe Linux", I'd vote
emphatically NO, because that would be a stupid and offensive name.

If the proposed name was "Chameleon Linux" - I probably would have voted
"yes".

But nobody cared enough to address that concern. So I didn't vote.

That is perfectly fair, I did mention somewhere on a list at some point
that it would probably be advantagious for those keen on changing the
name to put together a possible short list of possible options that
didn't likely have domain / trademark issues as people may be more
likely to support a name change if they saw something they liked. But no
one took the initiative to do that. Personally I didn't because
personally i'm in favor of keeping the current name if possible.

Either way the result we have is that most people want to stick with
openSUSE regardless of the alternatives that may have been proposed so
now we can stop thinking about changing the name and move to trying our
best to come up with a solution for the foundation that means it has
access to the name as needed.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

List Navigation
Follow Ups