[opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 03:19:56 -0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 09:48:00 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

On 11/10/19 6:38 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
And non-voting was 224.

That's pretty telling, because at least some of us who didn't vote
explicitly didn't vote because our questions about the vote were not
addressed.

Given previous history of activity from Board elections since we did the
membership cleanup 224 non-voting is around the same or slightly less
then board elections. So its not really that telling it seems reasonably
consistent with the number of inactive / are members for other reasons
such as mail alias's then choose not to vote / forgot / didn't have
time.

Hard to say, though, for sure; maybe this would have inspired more to
vote than a board election. We don't really know - it's just a guess.

Do we know how many people changed their vote after the wiki page was
updated with more information?

As we use a good secure voting system it is impossible to see who voted
for what during the progress we can only see the number of people who
have voted at any point. But as an indication most of the people who
ended up voting had already voted atleast once before we created the
wiki page, just before is the only time Ish communicated with the board
the number of people who had already voted. Given at that point it was
around what I expected I wasn't too concerned about asking for updates.

Obviously we wouldn't know *who* changed their vote. I'm asking if the
system tracks numbers of people who changed their vote (or indeed, when
they voted during the polling period). I don't know the software.

Do we have any information about why anyone who changed their vote did
so (I'm going to guess no, but who knows? Maybe we have some solid
information about why people who changed their votes did).

The voting system doesn't ask 'why are you changing your vote' so beyond
what is said on mailing lists we have no way of knowing.

Naturally. We might be able to make an educated guess based on when, but
I guess the software we use doesn't track that information.

So basically, what I'm hearing, is that we opened a vote, we didn't
provide sufficient information before polling opened for everyone to make
an informed vote. We tried to address that (not to everyone's
satisfaction - a factual assertion because it wasn't addressed to *my*
satisfaction), allowed people to change their vote - but don't have any
way of knowing if the additional information affected anyone's vote, and
we're happy to leave the decision as it stands because our best guess is
that the people who didn't vote don't generally care enough to vote
anyways in other elections, so who cares?

That seems a *perfectly legitimate* way to make decisions to me. Just
ignore the troublemakers and do what we want.

*sigh*

--
Jim Henderson