[opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 03:14:41 -0000 (UTC)
On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 12:48:03 +1030, Simon Lees wrote:

Having 5-50 votes saying unsure / I abstain / whatever other thing you
wanted to say wouldn't have made any difference to the way the board
interprets the result.

It would make a difference to those of us voting that we are abstaining.

As many people didn't vote as voted no.

If more people had voted "present" than had voted "yes", that would tell
everyone something about the vote.

But instead, nobody was interested in listening to those of us making
that point, so more than a couple of us simply DID NOT VOTE because our
concerns were not addressed.

And now we're being told that our vote wouldn't have mattered - which is
precisely the point.

I asked questions *repeatedly* and explained why the information provided
(even after the wiki update) was insufficent for me to be able to decide
on a yes/no vote here, because the name we would change to *matters* to
me for making up my opinion.

If the proposed name was, I don't know, "GoatSe Linux", I'd vote
emphatically NO, because that would be a stupid and offensive name.

If the proposed name was "Chameleon Linux" - I probably would have voted
"yes".

But nobody cared enough to address that concern. So I didn't vote.

--
Jim Henderson