Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Project Name Change Vote - Results

On 11/9/19 2:52 AM, Richard Brown wrote:

Thanks Ish and the whole Election Team for their excellent work.

With this overwhelming vote in favour of keeping the name, I'd like the
Board to address the following questions opened by this decision.

What sort of agreement (contract/trademark pact/copyright ownership,
etc) will the Board seek with SUSE LLC to ensure the openSUSE Project
will be able to continue using the term openSUSE?

What limitations will SUSE LLC impose on openSUSE as part of that
agreement?

What assurances/legal guarantees will openSUSE have that SUSE LLC will
not be able to change the terms or conductions of the above aggreement?

As you are well aware the board will now work through all these issues
now that we know what the community wants, due to other issues we have
been dealing with we haven't spent much time on it in recent.

It should be worth noting as repeated many times during the discussion,
currently the board see's no Legal reason why these questions couldn't
be settled in a way that works well for openSUSE. Going the opposite way
if the board can't get a satisfactory resolution to these question it is
still possible we may propose creating the foundation under a different
name and choosing not to rebrand any of the rest of project at this
stage. But given the outcome of this vote I imagine that is almost
certainly the board's least preferred option.

Now we have a result the board will be able to start working through this.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30

List Navigation