On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 3:39 PM, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 24.10.19 um 15:22 schrieb Stasiek Michalski:

On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 3:20 PM, Stefan Seyfried <stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 24.10.19 um 13:28 schrieb Vinzenz Vietzke:
Hi,

The wide masses did not care for the lowercase O for years now. And they
won't care it's successor. Plus: changing the O still leaves us with
"OpenSuSe", "OpenSuse" and "Open Suse" - or even "Open S.u.S.e".

Following that I want to give you a very recent example.

German "Linux Magazin" covered the name change voting today and mention the
wrong spelling issues as well;
=> https://www.linux-magazin.de/news/opensuse-stellt-namenswechsel-zur-wahl/

(German: "Au├čerdem werde der Namen oft falsch geschrieben." = English: "In
addition, the name is often misspelled.")

I talked to a well known heise news author about the issue and he told me:

"you know what? We just don't care anymore. We write OpenSUSE and be done. Who knows when they'll change the spelling
again. It's not like our readers would not understand what we are writing about"

I can relate to this somehow.

This has been the only spelling since 2005. SUSE did change their spelling multiple times tho, I feel we got confused
again ;)

S.u.S.E Linux
SUSE Linux
openSUSE Linux (?)
openSUSE

openSUSE the name predates openSUSE the Linux distribution actually, openSUSE.org was a project for SUSE Linux 10 and 10.1, before openSUSE 10.2 was named after the website. Also keep in mind there was SuSE Linux between S.u.S.E. Linux and SUSE Linux, just if you weren't confused enough yet. That's also where names like YaST got their capitalization, to keep up with SuSE.

This guy I mentioned is around since S.u.S.E. times. For him the spelling changes all the time. He does no longer care.
I can understand that.

Nobody should need to care, why we have a name that causes us this amount of branding trouble is a mystery to me though.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world