Re: [opensuse-project] Re: openSUSE Project Name Change Vote
  • From: Adam Spiers <ASpiers@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 16:27:25 +0000
Simon Lees <sflees@xxxxxxx> wrote:
* Ish Sookun <ish.sookun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [10-11-19 13:52]:
Hi Patrick,

and how are you tallying the "Abstention" votes w/o and indication that
"Abstention" is desired rather than "just not voting".

What I meant is that the act of not voting in itself is abstention.

but it is not recorded and indiscernible from not voting. there is a
difference from abstention and not voting and they are not equal. one
would have to know the choice was made and not just failing to vote.

Given that all our ballots are private and no one can see who voted
for what I don't think abstain really means anything, its not like
Australia where it is compulsory to turn up and vote.

Having abstain doesn't really tell us anything other then making the
result more complex and giving people something to argue over.

I profoundly disagree.

Personally if we went back and added it i'd just ignore it.

I don't think you really mean that; at least, I *really* hope you
don't.

Look at the example I just posted elsewhere in this thread. Would you
*really* ignore the difference between 53% voting to change the name,
and 8% voting to change the name?

We also have to remember that starting a new vote would cause some
confusion and we would have to work hard to ensure that people who
already voted don't get confused and not vote because they think they
already have.

That's regrettable (which is why the vote should never have been
kicked off while there was still obviously so much confusion
surrounding it), but it's still better than a hopelessly uninformed
vote.

While the current vote isn't perfect I think that starting another
vote now will just make things worse. The board has made it clear that
we are after an indication of whether people would like the openSUSE
name changed or not so that we can take that data forward into our
future decision making and will try our best to implement that
solution, with that in mind while the current naming isn't the best we
had it does ask that question.

I disagree, and it seems that many others do too.