Re: [opensuse-project] openSUSE Project Name Change Vote
  • From: Axel Braun <axel.braun@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2019 16:59:20 +0200
Hello Coolo,

Am Donnerstag, 10. Oktober 2019, 13:40:13 CEST schrieb Stephan Kulow:
On 10/10/19 12:55 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 09/10/2019 16.12, Ish Sookun wrote:
The board asked for a project name change vote
to obtain a clearer picture of the community's decision.

> [...]

The formulation of the vote is so short and terse that it's useless IMHO.

Is there a document explaining what is behind the vote and what will
happen with it?

I followed the discussion here, so have my preference - and would have
expected that based on the discussions the statement would be much
longer or include a link :(

Of course there is not. The board made it clear it expects the Brexit
outcome. The more vague the vote is, the more freedom you create to discuss
the outcome.

my first impulse was to say 'stop bullshitting', but this is of course a
phrase that is not appropriate for a public mailing list.

In fact there is no such expectation or desire, or has ever been.

We have discussed quite heavily the last days to find a better wording. Some
hours before the ballot was about to start we were done, but learned that,
once the ballot is on the road, there is no chance to finetune the choices or
the wording.

Assuming the approval of my board colleagues for publishing, here is what the
wording should have been:

( ) I am in favor of keeping the name "openSUSE" for our project
and would like to see the Board and SUSE to work together to
establish whatever is necessary (in terms of trademarks and other
agreements) to allow for that.

( ) I am in favor of changing the name of our project from "openSUSE"
and replacing uses of the "openSUSE" name with a new name. I would
like to see the Board and SUSE to work together towards that goal.
(Next steps will include determining concrete proposals and likely
a follow-up vote on the actual choice.)

Hope that makes things clearer
Axel