Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 08:16:15 +0200
On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 7:38 Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am 08.10.19 um 07:28 schrieb Michal Kubecek:
On Monday, 7 October 2019 17:36 Christian Boltz wrote:
As an example: Today, SUSE could in theory go crazy and deny using
the "openSUSE" trademark instantly - simply because they own the
trademark. (To make it clear: there's no indication they'll do
this, and they would probably harm themself by doing so.)
OTOH, when we have a foundation (and decide to keep the name
"openSUSE"), we'll make sure that the foundation gets non-revokable
permissions to use the openSUSE trademark, or even owns the
trademark, which means SUSE wouldn't be able to stop us from using
the name openSUSE.

If you want to go down this path and consider what could SUSE do to
harm openSUSE project if they went crazy, do you think the name and
trademark issue is the biggest problem? To me, it sounds a bit like
the famous "If someone gets the password to your system, he can log
in and change your desktop theme."

So to me the whole stunt sounds like a vote between:

1. do you want to take an active role in making openSUSE truely
independent of SUSE?
2. are you ok with SUSE basically owning the
project and you surf along?

Because there is hardly a middle way.

Yes, that would make much more sense to me.

Michal