Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-project (265 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
On 02/10/2019 22.08, Christian Boltz wrote:
Hello,

Am Mittwoch, 2. Oktober 2019, 09:21:09 CEST schrieb jdd@xxxxxxxxx:
Le 02/10/2019 à 08:55, Simon Lees a écrit :
Enough of the people suggesting the change are very active in the
openSUSE community especially around areas such as branding and
design so in my opinion atleast there are enough willing volunteers
that if the name change vote is successful they will be able to do
the work required.
I also guess that there will be a "latence" period, where the
necessary work will be prepared, and the change applied only is all
is OK.

Yes, of course - _if_ the decision is to change the name, this won't
happen over night. In that case, I'd expect a quite long transition
period (IMHO at least a year). Think of it as somewhat similar to what
we had in the past: "SUSE Linux 10.0 - made by the openSUSE project"
(and same for 10.1). 10.2 was then named "openSUSE 10.2".

Needless to say that changing to a completely different name needs much
more effort than "just" adding the "open" part.

anyway, I would like some comment about the recent news I have read
about SUSE and openSUSE being allowed to live together, this is
crucial if the change is dismissed

IANAL ;-) but I'll try nevertheless.

The short summary is that it's legally possible to let the openSUSE
foundation use and/or own the openSUSE trademark, and let SUSE and
openSUSE be competitors in the Linux market.

Of course this will need negotiations and finallly a contract between
SUSE (who currently own the openSUSE trademark) and the openSUSE
foundation to hand over the openSUSE trademark, but I'm sure this is
doable and - personal opinion - worth the effort.

If we decide to change the name, we won't need such a contract (or only
for the transition period) - but OTOH we'll have to spend lots of
marketing efforts to make the new name known. My feeling is that this
would be much more work than negotiating a contract with SUSE about the
openSUSE trademark.

If one of the vote options would be to "keep name under the above
conditions" I would vote for it.

Which is not "keep name under the current conditions.


The vote thus must have several options, not two...

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)

< Previous Next >
List Navigation
Follow Ups