Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
On Wed, 2019-10-02 at 15:18 +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
On 2019-10-02T13:44:21, Henne Vogelsang <hvogel@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But this discussion evolved around a pretty incomplete problem
statement
which vaguely describes the reality (the current state) BUT
COMPLETELY
omits the ideal (the desired state for the project) we want to end
up
with, also the consequences (the impact on the project) this
decision
has. And most importantly it also omits the proposal (describing
the
potential solutions to handle the impact) how we are going to
achieve
this name change. All of this is unclear as of today!

Indeed.

Name changes create a *huge* effort down the line, loss of awareness
etc.

Before someone can put forward a coherent argument as to the why
*and*
the how for this option, a vote should IMNSHO not be held.

Not holding this vote now commits the Project and it's Board to a long
drawn out series of negotiations with SUSE regarding the possibilities
of the Foundation being able to own or use the openSUSE Trademarks.

It's entirely possible, even with the negotiations carried out in good
faith and with the best of goodwill, that the outcome of those
negotiations result in the Foundation not being able to use the
openSUSE marks to the satisfaction of the Board or the community at
large.

And in the event of such an outcome the community will be either
effectively forced to retain the name but not operate an independant
foundation under that name (hindering its effectiveness - see: the
lessons cited by the Board in their investigation from the
TDF/LibreOffice differences), or forced to change the name.

Personally speaking, I'd rather we have this vote, so we know where the
community stands on the topic.

If we vote for a name change, we know the route and can focus on that
as a collective group, playing our strongest hand as a community
because we've chosen it.

If we vote against a namechange, we give the Board the strongest hand
possible in their complex negotiations with SUSE because it makes it
crystal clear what we want and what the stakes are if they fail to come
to a satisfactory aggreement.

Leaving the question open, just makes things harder for everyone in the
short, medium, and long terms in my view.

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
HRB 247165, AG München
GF: Felix Imendörffer