Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-project (265 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
  • From: Vojtěch Zeisek <vojtech.zeisek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 22:01:19 +0200
  • Message-id: <2718419.qU7j8zVrfx@rusalka>
Dne středa 2. října 2019 16:24:58 CEST, Richard Brown napsal(a):
On Wed, 2019-10-02 at 16:08 +0200, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 02/10/2019 à 14:56, Vincent Untz a écrit :
My concern is similar to Henne's: we know there are people who
will be willing to help, and I have no doubt they will help; but
will we be able to cover all changes in a realistic timeframe?

Reading all what you say (not Vincent, everybody here), I think the
way the vote is proposed is not the good way.
We should do it someway like this:
* ask for a group/team/whatsoever to propose an other name. This
group (for example a member group in connect) could then make a
campaign to promote his will among the members. *this* group would
be responsible to make the transition happen and the result of the
vote would most certainly depend of the way the group proves he can
do the task.
* of course there can be several groups, names, with the same
* a other group should coordinate to defend the status quo, as it's
not that evident now that the openSUSE brand is really backed by
after that (I see at least two month or more), a vote could be done

I don't see the benefit of your approach
Voting for a namechange requires lots of work afterwards to figure out
what names are viable and likely require followup votes to decide a
Voting for keeping the name requires lots of work afterwards to figure
out how to form a viable independant Foundation with some element of
control over it's own name, and will likely require follow up votes to
ensure the community are happy with the constituational impacts of any
negotiations in this area.
I see the vote proposed by the Board as a choice to the community to
help the Project decide which long road to walk down.
Neither option is certain, neither option is easy or without potential
problems arising that undermine the "decision" by the Project in this
But, the Project need to know what the Project wants, so we at least
know which pile of work to spend time on.
Because doing both - figuring out all the possible names, campaigning
for it, etc is an insane amount of work to do if at the same time the
Board are going to have to also be negotiating with SUSE about the
consequences of keeping the name while forming the Foundation.
It's really that simple. People shouldn't expect certainty from either
decision. Both will cause this Project work. But what work do we want
the Project to do is a GOOD question to ask.

It has been touched several times, I'm sorry I feel need to repeat it, for the
voting, very comprehensive explanation of motivation to start the vote and all
possible consequences of all results should be well described. I'd like to
make an informed vote, but I'm not sure if I can foresee outcomes of my
decision. I know many arguments were written in the discussion threads but I
feel this information scattered around. I'm unable to summarize everything,
but e.g. wiki page could help to clear up the discussion.

Vojtěch Zeisek

Komunita openSUSE GNU/Linuxu
Community of the openSUSE GNU/Linux
< Previous Next >
List Navigation