Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
Hey,.

On 02.10.19 15:49, Richard Brown wrote:
On Wed, 2019-10-02 at 13:44 +0200, Henne Vogelsang wrote:

So if you put the vote forward like that, people will have a vote on
something they can imagine very well (a.k.a. status quo) versus some
*undefined* future.

If the Project votes for not changing the name, I expect the following
consequences

- The Board...

Yes, sure, this means the vote has potentially unbalanced outcomes -
one option is immediately actionable with a goal that is immediately
realisable and one is an option which is more uncertain.

To be as blunt as you taught me to be, such is life.

But that doesn't mean the board *should* just put life out for a vote to
a group of people and expect them to do the right thing. Not if we
expect something good coming out of this!

If something is as unclear as everything is right now the board can not
rely on people to decide the right thing. It's the boards job to eat the
bullet and make things clear and more balanced, sorry.

Regardless, either option compells the Project to months or years of
work, and before any such large burden is undertaken, it should be well
justified.

Then the board should step back and think about what it wants us to vote
on. It's clearly not renaming the project!

If all of this is because of the foundation, and if you want to make
sure that putting in work is justified, I would suggest something like:

In the ideal world our project would not be dependent on SUSE and run
it's own legal entity to represent ourselves and what we do. A legal
entity is mostly required for handling (receiving/giving) money, goods
and services. For instance: $LIST_OF_EXAMPLES_WHAT_THE_LEGAL_ENTITY_DOES

In reality we don't have a legal entity and depend on SUSE to handle
anything that requires one.

The consequences of *not* forming a foundation are:
$COMPREHENSIVE_LIST_OF_DRAWBACKS_THE_CURRENT_SETUP_HAS

Forming the foundation will require: $COMPREHENSIVE_LIST_OF_THINGS_TO_DO
(including decision if/else branches like the naming one, different
foundation setups etc.)

Do you want the openSUSE Project to attempt to create a foundation:

- [ ] Yes
- [ ] No
- [ ] Abstain

Because this is the real question before us and it's your job¹ to hash
this out and to make this clear if you want your members to vote on this.

Henne

¹ Doesn't mean you're the only people who should work on this.
Delegation is awesome.

--
Henne Vogelsang
http://www.opensuse.org