Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
On Wed, 2019-10-02 at 16:08 +0200, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 02/10/2019 à 14:56, Vincent Untz a écrit :

My concern is similar to Henne's: we know there are people who will
be
willing to help, and I have no doubt they will help; but will we be
able
to cover all changes in a realistic timeframe?

Reading all what you say (not Vincent, everybody here), I think the
way
the vote is proposed is not the good way.

We should do it someway like this:

* ask for a group/team/whatsoever to propose an other name. This
group
(for example a member group in connect) could then make a campaign
promote his will among the members. *this* group would be responsible
make the transition happen and the result of the vote would most
certainly depend of the way the group proves he can do the task.

* of course there can be several groups, names, with the same
conditions.

* a other group should coordinate to defend the status quo, as it's
not
that evident now that the openSUSE brand is really backed by
volunteers.

after that (I see at least two month or more), a vote could be done

jdd

I don't see the benefit of your approach

Voting for a namechange requires lots of work afterwards to figure out
what names are viable and likely require followup votes to decide a
name.

Voting for keeping the name requires lots of work afterwards to figure
out how to form a viable independant Foundation with some element of
control over it's own name, and will likely require follow up votes to
ensure the community are happy with the constituational impacts of any
negotiations in this area.

I see the vote proposed by the Board as a choice to the community to
help the Project decide which long road to walk down.

Neither option is certain, neither option is easy or without potential
problems arising that undermine the "decision" by the Project in this
vote.

But, the Project need to know what the Project wants, so we at least
know which pile of work to spend time on.

Because doing both - figuring out all the possible names, campaigning
for it, etc is an insane amount of work to do if at the same time the
Board are going to have to also be negotiating with SUSE about the
consequences of keeping the name while forming the Foundation.

It's really that simple. People shouldn't expect certainty from either
decision. Both will cause this Project work. But what work do we want
the Project to do is a GOOD question to ask.

--
Richard Brown
Linux Distribution Engineer - Future Technology Team

Phone +4991174053-361
SUSE Software Solutions Germany GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, D-90409
Nuernberg
HRB 247165, AG München
GF: Felix Imendörffer