Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-09-03 board meeting minutes
  • From: Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 09:14:02 +0200
On Monday, 23 September 2019 14:36 Adam Spiers wrote:
Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday, 22 September 2019 13:30 Christian Boltz wrote:
Simon will write an introduction letter listing pros and cons.
Options will be "keep openSUSE" vs. "change the name", but we
won't propose alternative names. If the result is "change", we'll
have a second vote for the new name.

This sounds a lot like "Let's vote if we want to leave EU first and
leave figuring out what it actually means for later (and hope we
won't have to)."

That was my initial reaction too, but after thinking about it for a
few more seconds, I realised there's hardly any similarity.

Well, that's your opinion. Personally, I can see more similarities than
I feel comfortable with. I would rather say the only significant
difference is the scale (in all senses - number of people involved,
total cost, potential harm).

Of course, there is another difference: if it all comes to the worst and
the result of the vote is "change", Board could simply make a popularity
contest and choose the name with most votes even if majority of voters
(and users) would in fact dislike that name. But that is hardly
reassuring...

Michal Kubecek