Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
On 01/10/2019 22.20, Axel Braun wrote:
Hello Henne,

Am Dienstag, 1. Oktober 2019, 16:20:10 CEST schrieb Henne Vogelsang:
On 01.10.19 13:54, Administrator wrote:
1) this question reminds me strangely of the Brexit referendum as it’s a
simple question with one path familiar and the other totally undefined.
I think it will produce the same kind of result … people dissatisfied
with the status-quo will vote against without voting for something
deliverable.
A friend of mine mentioned the same thing yesterday evening when I was
explaining the situation and discussing it with them. I must admit, it
also rings true for me...

Can someone from the board please comment on this? You are proposing to
put this vote to the membership right? Have you thought and discussed
about the validity/gravity of this kind of question?

Yes we have.
The question / idea was raised to the board on the last openSUSE conference.
There was already a longer mail discussion about this, and all pro/con were
mentioned.
As we are on the edge of a new era (legal structure/foundation) it would now
be the time to change the name - if the majority of members want this .
We as board discussed as well, but personal opinions of board members do not
count in that context.

Anyway, we have to respect the desire of the community, and this is why the
poll will take place as announced.

Different to the Brexit, we are not politicians, and nobody needs to give the
Board a 'Denkzettel' (hopefully). Every member should be aware that each vote
counts, and each vote can be the decision taking one.

So please vote according to your personal opinion, not for any 'political
agenda'. And, most important, vote!

What if one does not know? Will there be a "blank" option?

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

(from openSUSE 15.1 (Legolas))