Re: [opensuse-project] Election Committee Set to Open Vote on Project Name
On 1 Oct 2019, at 10:29, Stasiek Michalski <hellcp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 4:31 PM, jdd@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Le 30/09/2019 à 14:18, Simon Lees a écrit :
This is not to say that an openSUSE foundation will neccesarily hold the
openSUSE trademarks
I would like to have clarified the fact that what mean "name change"
IMHO, the *foundation* name and the *project* name do not have to be the
same. Ubuntu is backed by Canonical... not the same name at all.
so why is the vote for? Name of the project? Name of the foundation?

This is a huge simplification of how Ubuntu and Canonical operate,
Ubuntu has Ubuntu Foundation, which is supported by Canonical. Ubuntu by
itself is a name for `Foundation`, what we would call `Project` and the
`Distribution`. For us openSUSE is a name for the `Project` and that's
it.

A few lightweight comments:

1) this question reminds me strangely of the Brexit referendum as it’s a simple
question with one path familiar and the other totally undefined. I think it
will produce the same kind of result … people dissatisfied with the status-quo
will vote against without voting for something deliverable.

2) at the same time as they vote, if they choose “change" they should be asked
how much time they will contribute. If the answer is zero, their vote is
discarded. If it’s some time, then keep them to their commitment.

3) the openSUSE brand is long inthe market and well recognised. Why are we
proposing to throw away that value?

Yours
David--

List Navigation