Re: [opensuse-project] 2019-09-03 board meeting minutes

On 9/23/19 10:06 PM, Adam Spiers wrote:
Michal Kubecek <mkubecek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday, 22 September 2019 13:30 Christian Boltz wrote:
Simon will write an introduction letter listing pros and cons. Options
will be "keep openSUSE" vs. "change the name", but we won't propose
alternative names. If the result is "change", we'll have a second
vote for the new name.

This sounds a lot like "Let's vote if we want to leave EU first and
leave figuring out what it actually means for later (and hope we won't
have to)."

That was my initial reaction too, but after thinking about it for a
few more seconds, I realised there's hardly any similarity.

Well the push to change name has mostly come from the community rather then anyone on the board. However there is no point in creating a foundation under the "openSUSE" name if the majority of the community would rather a different name, hence we are dealing with this issue now.

We have suggested to those who think it would be a good idea to change the name that the idea might be more popular if they have some good alternatives.

For reference the current discussion of alternatives is in this github issue https://github.com/openSUSE/branding/issues/112

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30