Re: [opensuse-project] Project name change vote
On 20/09/2019 14.11, Adam Spiers wrote:
Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for your input. Most pros and cons have been mentioned in earlier
threads here

To save others the effort of finding these earlier threads:

https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-project/2019-06/msg00001.html

Thanks.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't have time to closely follow
them as they arose, but with the imminent vote, now is a good time to

Personally I agree with many others that while a fresh logo might be
of benefit, changing the brand away from the well-loved and trusted
"openSUSE" and geeko would be chucking away something very valuable
and a big mistake. Similarly with the "green-ness". People are
inherently tribal and often feel strong loyalty to certain colours /
emblems etc.

I appreciate that getting rid of "SUSE" from the name might make
certain issues around trademarking etc. easier, and that that might
free up some of the board's time to work on other valuable stuff, but
I'm really worried about the risk of the project fading away into
oblivion as a result.

This is an important reason, trademarks, accepting donations directly, etc.

Trying to sever the visible links with SUSE gives a worryingly
familiar "binding the hand that feeds you" feeling to me, just like
what my idiotic government is currently trying to do with the EU :-(
The relationship with SUSE has been mutually beneficial for many,
*many* years. I'd much prefer we continue to embrace that, working
with SUSE to smoothen processes around trademarks etc. where needed,
rather than just cutting the ties and sending a loudly misleading
message to the whole world. I can already imagine the headlines
misinterpreting it... "openSUSE votes to break free from tyranny of
its commercial master" :-(

I think the same, more or less.

Maybe SUSE could agree to "lease" or "leave" the openSUSE trademark to
openSUSE instead. Some kind of agreement.

--
Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 15.0 x86_64 at Telcontar)