Re: [opensuse-project] New members procedure

On 9/20/19 6:18 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 20/09/2019 05.36, Fraser_Bell wrote:
On 9/19/19 1:14 AM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Hi, Carlos:

As I recall, I had tried to get something going to get a replacement for
Connect that would make a better, more secure Membership list for the
purposes of votes and other openSUSE activities.

A couple of people started something, but nothing ever got anywhere.
Without enough motivated help, and after an excruciating experience with
the Elections and the Elections Committee (others were Ish and Edwin,
who pulled their weight admirably) unable to get decent assistance with
the last Board Elections, I was not about to go ahead with it on my own.

I decided to instead devote my time to my Recordings and subsequently
dropped out of that failed attempt to replace Connect.

This is not aimed at you, I want to be clear, as you and another stepped
up and have done a nice job at reducing the spam and similar activity,
and I admire your resolve to help with that.

But, this would all be a moot point, now, if I had received the full
assistance with the move away from Connect months ago.

Thanks for bringing this up, Carlos, as it *DOES* need to be addressed.

Thanks.

I was rather hopping to move the membership procedure, perhaps with some
urgency, to a limited distribution mail list, that the membership
committee read. On the other hand, that becomes "not open" :-(

This is the longer term plan, but its also not the hard part, the harder part is storing the list of members usernames and email addresses in a manner that only the people who really need to access the data can access it.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30