Re: [opensuse-project] Changing the Chair of the Board
Hi

I just wanted to thank you for doing amazing job as chairperson.

Thanks a lot, it was amazing!

Martin

On Mon, 2019-08-19 at 10:00 +0200, Richard Brown wrote:
Dear Community,

After six years on the openSUSE Board and five as its Chairperson, I
have decided to step down as Chair of the openSUSE Board effective
today, August 19.

This has been a very difficult decision for me to make, with reasons
that are diverse, interlinked, and personal.
Some of the key factors that led me to make this step include the
time required to do the job properly, and the length of time I've
served.
Five years is more than twice as long as any of my predecessors.
The time required to do the role properly has increased and I now
find it impossible to balance the demands of the role with the
requirements of my primary role as a developer in SUSE, and with what
I wish to achieve outside of work and community.
As difficult as it is to step back from something I've enjoyed doing
for so long, I am looking forward to achieving a better balance
between work, community, and life in general.

Serving as member and chair of the openSUSE Board has been an
absolute pleasure and highly rewarding. Meeting and communicating
with members of the project as well as championing the cause of
openSUSE has been a joyous part of my life that I know I will miss
going forward.

openSUSE won't get rid of me entirely. While I do intend to step back
from any governance topics, I will still be working at SUSE in the
Future Technology Team. Following SUSE's Open Source policy, we do a
lot in openSUSE. I am especially looking forward to being able to
focus on Kubic & MicroOS much more than I have been lately.

As I'm sure it's likely to be a question, I wish to make it crystal
clear that my decision has nothing to do with the Board’s ongoing
efforts to form an independent openSUSE Foundation.

The Board’s decision to form a Foundation had my complete backing as
Chairperson, and will continue to have as a regular openSUSE
contributor.
I have absolute confidence in the openSUSE Board; Indeed, I don't
think I would be able to make this decision at this time if I wasn't
certain that I was leaving openSUSE in good hands.

On that note, SUSE has appointed Gerald Pfeifer as my replacement as
Chair. Gerald is SUSE's EMEA-based CTO, with a long history as a
Tumbleweed user, an active openSUSE Member, and upstream
contributor/maintainer in projects like GCC and Wine.

Gerald has been a regular source of advice & support during my tenure
as Chairperson. In particular, I will always remember my first visit
to FOSDEM as openSUSE Chair.
Turning up more smartly dressed than usual, I was surprised to find
Gerald, a senior Director at SUSE, diving in to help at the
incredibly busy openSUSE booth, and doing so dressed in quite
possibly the oldest and most well-loved openSUSE T-shirt I've ever
seen.
When booth visitors came with questions about SUSE-specific stuff, I
think he took some glee in being able to point them in my direction
while teasingly saying "Richard is the corporate guy here, I'm just
representing the community.."

Knowing full well he will continue being so community minded, while
finally giving me the opportunity to tease him in return, it is with
a similar glee I now hand over the reigns to Gerald.

As much as I'm going to miss things about being chairperson of this
awesome community, I'm confident and excited to see how openSUSE
evolves from here.

Keep having a lot of fun,

Richard

Note: This announcement has been cross-posted in several places, but
please send any replies and discussion to the
opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx Mailinglist. Thanks!