Re: [opensuse-project] RFC: How to improve openSUSE websites

On czw, cze 20, 2019 at 7:26 PM, Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Thu, 20 Jun 2019 17:13:22 +0200
schrieb Stasiek Michalski <hellcp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> in advance: can you please fix your email client's wrapping? It's
> really hard to read your emails.

I guess having 79 characters per line doesn't work too well, changed
it to 72

Thanks, much better now.

> Hm, that whole story is a bit frustrating to be honest.
>
> I haven't seen the mockups yet you mentioned earlier in this
> thread. So
> I had to start somewhere out of the blue which is quite pointless
> when there are things around being already half finished.
>
> But now you're coming around the corner with a 90% copy of the
> current landing page. All in all you gave it different fonts and
> made the colours more eye burning but kept the unclear overall
> structure.

Attribute the eye burning colours to the awful colour palette openSUSE
has, which instead of enabling more interesting designs causes
everything to way too bright

The worst part is that this is how the colours were supposed to be
used, despite not being fit for the purpose (at least that's how they
appear to be used in marketing materials).

So why not unclutter it and use one or two main colors? It's not
like we have you use every tone given from the palette as if it was
the holy grail.

Eh, this particular green gets worse the darker it gets, it's certainly
less eye burning, but that's not helping it look any better.

And despite the fact that it is a 90% of the current landing page, it
fixes all the issues that the current page has in my opinion:
* Links more to external resources instead of relying on the landing
page itself (software-o-o already explains the differences between
distributions, why duplicate, news-o-o already has all the news, why
duplicate, contributions page will have all the details about
contributing, why duplicate)

Sending people from A to B to C with always different layouts. That is
so wrong. I'd prefer any duplication instead of this navigation mess.

All of those places do, or already have plans to move to new navigation
bar/footer with chameleon migration (except OSEM), It's the same
navigation for this very reason. We certainly can't avoid not linking
elsewhere, so why not link everything externally, especially since
that's where the content already is.

* Gives more space to projects other than distributions
* References to openSUSE as us, not them
* Mentions community more

If we want to fix the way openSUSE Distributions are presented to
people, we should need to do it in one place, not two or three (there
is also some stuff on the wiki after all).

Please re-read your first bullet point. You're dissenting with yourself
here now.

Nope, I'm repeating myself, I want one place with all the basic
information you need on distributions, without the need to edit many of
them to fit the current state. So moving everything to software-o-o
seems like the most sensible way to do it.

> Wait until when? Settling the foundation alone will take up to 6
> months. But even leaving it out there's still not a single date or
> time
> span for logo and renaming around at all. Which means it will take
> 2-3 months at minimum until there is any final decision in sight.
>
> That aside: changing color codes and switching logos is no rocket
> science.

It isn't, but I would hope all of this would be tied together. It's
just a few years at most, we can wait :P

We agreed on the overall web presence being at best not satisfying. So
why wait until the tasks are stacked?

We can already fix a bulk of it by forming a plan for fixing
software-o-o's presentation of distributions, cleaning up wiki from
useless stuff that is already said in other places, fixing OSEM to use
the same navigation as existing openSUSE websites, stuff that might not
be related to the main site at this moment, but would make navigating
between websites easier and more informational.

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world