Re: [opensuse-project] RFC: How to improve openSUSE websites

On czw, cze 20, 2019 at 2:05 PM, Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

in advance: can you please fix your email client's wrapping? It's
really hard to read your emails.

I guess having 79 characters per line doesn't work too well, changed
it to 72

I drew a quick mockup [1] for the sake of it, I didn't think that
there are not
enough links to external pages, and too many subpages there, so I
consolidated
most of it. I don't really see why the page shouldn't be as long as it
currently is, as long as it uses the space in ways that make sense ;)
(This mockup probably has the worst spacing ever anyway, but we will
fix that
in post)

The distributions section got shorter, you get that at the absolute
top, while
letting the software-o-o explain tw and leap in more detail instead.

Tools are represented in categories, so we can explain how they fit
into overall openSUSE goals, while staying relatively short and
concise.

News are just one (latest) article sourced from news-o-o, it also
links to
news-o-o, in case you want to see more news.

Some explanation about who openSUSE Community is, that will require
some more
links than just events, but it's a good start on having people
understand that
we aren't that scary (hopefully ;)

Contributions, well, it will point to the site that Imad Aldoj is
making, as
well as subpage about hardware donations, it still requires some more
contents,
but will probably be a little easier to navigate.

Hm, that whole story is a bit frustrating to be honest.

I haven't seen the mockups yet you mentioned earlier in this thread. So
I had to start somewhere out of the blue which is quite pointless when
there are things around being already half finished.

But now you're coming around the corner with a 90% copy of the current
landing page. All in all you gave it different fonts and made the
colours more eye burning but kept the unclear overall structure.

Attribute the eye burning colours to the awful colour palette openSUSE
has, which instead of enabling more interesting designs causes
everything to way too bright

The worst part is that this is how the colours were supposed to be used,
despite not being fit for the purpose (at least that's how they appear
to be used in marketing materials).

And despite the fact that it is a 90% of the current landing page, it
fixes all the issues that the current page has in my opinion:
* Links more to external resources instead of relying on the landing
page itself (software-o-o already explains the differences between
distributions, why duplicate, news-o-o already has all the news, why
duplicate, contributions page will have all the details about
contributing, why duplicate)
* Gives more space to projects other than distributions
* References to openSUSE as us, not them
* Mentions community more

If we want to fix the way openSUSE Distributions are presented to
people, we should need to do it in one place, not two or three (there is
also some stuff on the wiki after all).

And obviously mockup is half finished, it's a mockup, it shows ideas,
it took me a few minutes to make it, don't expect a Mona Lisa out of a
sketch ;)

I also feel, this is probably the worst time to be making this, we
will need to
remake the page after logo changes, after colour changes, after name
changes,
after foundation happens anyway, which is being discussed right now.
Maybe we
should wait?

Wait until when? Settling the foundation alone will take up to 6
months. But even leaving it out there's still not a single date or time
span for logo and renaming around at all. Which means it will take 2-3
months at minimum until there is any final decision in sight.

That aside: changing color codes and switching logos is no rocket
science.

It isn't, but I would hope all of this would be tied together. It's
just a few years at most, we can wait :P

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world