Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Project name and logo discussion

On 20/06/2019 16:32, Vojtěch Zeisek wrote:
Dne čtvrtek 20. června 2019 5:52:34 CEST, Simon Lees napsal(a):
On 20/06/2019 05:03, Matwey V. Kornilov wrote:
You say that an agreement will be required between SUSE and future
openSUSE Foundation to use the logo. Given that openSUSE Leap is based
on SLES in anyway, wouldn't an agreement still be required in any case
to keep the existing development process integration level?

To keep it the way it is now yes, SUSE chooses to publish its source
code in a very easy way for Leap to consume pre release, without this
Leap development couldn't start properly until SLE is released presuming
SUSE chooses to continue to make there source code open to non
customers. It has to be said that Leap 15.1 was released before SLE 15
SP1 and SUSE has benefited greatly from the extra testing it has
received from Leap users using the same code base. SUSE wants more
people using its code base because it leads to better quality products
for its customers so there are benefits to this approach both ways.
There will also be agreements between SUSE and openSUSE with regards to
SUSE managing the open build service hardware on its behalf aditionally
USE would have to recreate a tumbleweed fork internally to produce
SLE-16 internally so if such agreements ceased to exist it would have a
seriously negative affect on SUSE just as it would openSUSE which is why
the board has been pretty confident that we will be able to sort these
issues out.

Isn't openSUSE Tumbleweed upstream for SLE? Such relationship is definitely
mutually helpful for everyone, I appreciate it and I hope this tight bounds
between openSUSE and SUSE will stay.

Yep this is very much true and will stay the same into the future. I think that what most of the people who are concerned in this thread are concerned about is that there is a reasonable chance of SUSE being sold again in a few years and if it is and the new owner was to change the leadership structure was to change and had a different purpose for SUSE maybe that would align less with whats happening currently and as such they may no longer see the value in openSUSE, this is a very very big if but still there is atleast a very minor chance it could happen in the next 10 years and as such it is wise to look at ways to protect openSUSE now while our relationship with SUSE is good and making changes to how openSUSE is structured is far easier then it could be because we currently have the support of SUSE's management. While personally I don't believe that means we need to change the name now, I think it would be much easier to do it if we ever really need to. Others see now as a good time to do that now as we plan to setup a foundation.
--

Simon Lees (Simotek) http://simotek.net

SUSE Linux Adelaide Australia, UTC+10:30