Re: [opensuse-project] RFC: How to improve openSUSE websites

On czw, cze 20, 2019 at 12:53 AM, Vinzenz Vietzke <vinz@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Following the replies and feedback in this thread I started to draft a
reworked opensuse.org:

- took chameleon bootstrap theme [1]
- adapted it to a basic structure
- copy/pasted a few contents

You can click through it [2] or even pull the code [3].

Please keep in mind that this is a very rough, unpolished draft far
from completion. My intention is to outline a structure how the site
could work.

Looking forward to your comments or even code commits rightaway!

Regards,
vinz.

[1] https://github.com/openSUSE/opensuse-theme-chameleon
[2] https://vinzv.de/dev/opensuse/
[3] https://github.com/vinzv/opensuse-landingpage

I drew a quick mockup [1] for the sake of it, I didn't think that there are not
enough links to external pages, and too many subpages there, so I consolidated
most of it. I don't really see why the page shouldn't be as long as it
currently is, as long as it uses the space in ways that make sense ;)
(This mockup probably has the worst spacing ever anyway, but we will fix that
in post)

The distributions section got shorter, you get that at the absolute top, while
letting the software-o-o explain tw and leap in more detail instead.

Tools are represented in categories, so we can explain how they fit into
overall openSUSE goals, while staying relatively short and concise.

News are just one (latest) article sourced from news-o-o, it also links to
news-o-o, in case you want to see more news.

Some explanation about who openSUSE Community is, that will require some more
links than just events, but it's a good start on having people understand that
we aren't that scary (hopefully ;)

Contributions, well, it will point to the site that Imad Aldoj is making, as
well as subpage about hardware donations, it still requires some more contents,
but will probably be a little easier to navigate.

I also feel, this is probably the worst time to be making this, we will need to
remake the page after logo changes, after colour changes, after name changes,
after foundation happens anyway, which is being discussed right now. Maybe we
should wait?

[1] https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/496049131928682506/591148549450891296/mockup.png
LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world