[opensuse-project] Re: RFC: How to improve openSUSE websites
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 15:45:26 -0000 (UTC)
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 09:52:00 +0200, Pierre Böckmann wrote:

On Tuesday, 18 June 2019 02:03:10 CEST Jim Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 18 Jun 2019 01:04:39 +0200, Vinzenz Vietzke wrote:
The thing is: opensuse.org is /the/ starting point for everyone with
either little or no knowledge of openSUSE at all.

One would think so, but I'm surprised on our FB presence how many
people don't know to go there. The number of questions we see there
about "where do I go to download openSUSE?" or "where can I get more
information" is far higher than I would expect.

That's true. Even true to other openSUSE and Linux social media groups.
Although I don't know why, because the Leap 15.1 download link is
extremely present on the opensuse.org landingpage. Although when not
landing on the mainpage navigation etc becomes a bit cluttered. So we
might want to think about improving the general UI and UX to be more
streamlined with important links present everywhere in the main menues
like the Wiki/Documentation and download pages.

I tend to attribute it to people's laziness - it's easier to ask a
question than search for what you're looking for (at least in a lot of
peoples' eyes; I don't get that myself, if I want to know something, I
can search and get an answer now rather than having to come back when
someone answers).

But it always makes me shake my head when I see it.

--
Jim Henderson