On czw, cze 13, 2019 at 11:14 PM, Ronan Chagas <ronisbr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Em 13 de jun de 2019, à(s) 07:53, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxx> escreveu:

Rebuilding the openSUSE brand would be costly for openSUSE. Very much
so. Name changes confuse people. For a long, long time. openSUSE would
lose the (hopefully positive) impact of "SUSE" on our perception.

SUSE would lose significant community visibility.

I confess I am very aligned with the position of Lars, but I also understand the
legal problems it can arise by keeping SUSE in the name.

I will try to propose something in the middle:

It seems that the Foundation is happening. Let’s choose a name that will fit
fine in a Linux distro, but as a foundation behind openSUSE Linux. Then, with
the Foundation established and with all trustees or whatever they will be called,
it can officially approach SUSE to try to make an arrangement about the use of
the name / trademark openSUSE. Do you think this is possible? Because, after
this, it will be crystal clear what we will win and what we will loose.

Eh, this is project name, not distribution name discussion. Distributions are
already called Tumbleweed and Leap, and openSUSE is used with those just as a
discriminator, because both Leap and Tumbleweed are very generic on their own
and even then, I tried very hard to limit the amount of times we do mention
openSUSE throughout the branding. Anyway, openSUSE Linux does not exist since
13.2, so 2014/2015, and it's not coming back...

LCP [Stasiek]
https://lcp.world