  • From: Pierre Böckmann <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 16:58:19 +0200
On Wednesday, 12 June 2019 16:19:42 CEST Ancor Gonzalez Sosa wrote:
And I believe everyone who is involved in the project or the company
will agree that's something that (although theoretically possible) is
far from happening right now or in any foreseeable scenario. Quite the
opposite the bonds are strong and healthy.

They are and hopefully will always be.

Of course, we can make the change "just in case" to ensure we don't have
to do it in a rush in the VERY unforeseeable case of a SUSE<->openSUSE
breakage. Hopefully, the people inside the community will understand
that's being done just preventively (if that's a word ;-) ).

It absolutely is a word. ;-) But being precautious, or preventive as you call
it , is just one minor argument in favor of changing the project's name. It's
about legal issues in the first place. We could working around those - yes,
that's still possible and a real option - but it would result in limitations
and risks. So being precautious and not taking the risks, isn't the worst
idea, no matter how unrealistic it is that it could become an issue one day -
and that day would really be unforeseeable. ;-)

BUT the people involved in the openSUSE project is just a minor fraction
of the world. Most people out there (even MANY of our users) will simply
understand the change of the name as the breakage already happening or
being a very close possibility.

No matter how well you do the marketing. It will be perceived as a bad
sign. The more positive you pain it, the most people will think "there
must be something they are not telling us".

By putting the cart before the horse we are just sending a message of
instability, fear and distrust about the SUSE<->openSUSE relationship.

By fixing something that is not broken (just in case it breaks in the
distant future) you will be actually telling to the world that is
already broken.

We aren't fixing anything, we are developing - our own future so to say. And
sure, there would be a lot of people who would take the name change as
evidence for a disruption between SUSE and the community. But those will
classify the process of forming a foundation and talks about a name change as
such already. And no matter the chatter, we are free to prove them all wrong.

The real challenge is to establish the new brand and foundation as an
associate of SUSE. But pointing that out from the very beginning will form the
link between the foundation and SUSE. We don't need the SUSE in our name to be
associated with SUSE. But I think I already wrote about that part way to often
now. ;-)

Anyway, let's not be too pessimistic. When your kids are moving out and into
their own flat you won't judge that as a broken relationship to your children,
right?
We are not the first open source community forming a foundation to strengthen
the community and widen their potential and capabilities.

Life is a risk and an opportunity at the same time.