On 6/11/19 7:40 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Ronan Chagas <ronisbr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Richard,

Em 11 de jun de 2019, à(s) 09:06, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
escreveu:

But I do think this example illustrates some of the factors we need to
consider on this topic besides the emotive "but we like the current
name" feeling :)

Indeed this was very informative. I was not thinking that deep. Well, now you
gave me an understandable “case study".

One question: openSUSE has a massive investment of SUSE, there are many SUSE
employees that work with openSUSE. Do you think that when everything becomes
new Linux distro, managed by the new foundation, will SUSE eventually
decrease
the investment? I mean, in a long time frame, can we start to loose the
support
of such big company?

To put it bluntly, it wouldn't be the first time that SUSE has done
something like that to openSUSE. This project has gone through a
period in which SUSE barely invested anything into openSUSE and
survived. I'm fairly confident we'd be okay if we had to weather
another storm like that.

I think you are underestimating the amount of resources (of all types)
SUSE has put into openSUSE in all periods, even in those in which, as
you wrote, "SUSE barely invested anything".

To my eyes (being both a SUSE employee and a community contributor) the
connection between openSUSE and SUSE is stronger and closer of what some
people in this thread seem to believe. I seriously doubt any of both
would survive without the other.

Cheers.
--
Ancor González Sosa