  • From: Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 22:01:13 +0200
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 19:41, Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Ronan Chagas <ronisbr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Richard,

Em 11 de jun de 2019, à(s) 09:06, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
escreveu:

But I do think this example illustrates some of the factors we need to
consider on this topic besides the emotive "but we like the current
name" feeling :)

Indeed this was very informative. I was not thinking that deep. Well, now
you
gave me an understandable “case study".

One question: openSUSE has a massive investment of SUSE, there are many SUSE
employees that work with openSUSE. Do you think that when everything
becomes a
new Linux distro, managed by the new foundation, will SUSE eventually
decrease
the investment? I mean, in a long time frame, can we start to loose the
support
of such big company?

To put it bluntly, it wouldn't be the first time that SUSE has done
something like that to openSUSE. This project has gone through a
period in which SUSE barely invested anything into openSUSE and
survived. I'm fairly confident we'd be okay if we had to weather
another storm like that.

To put it nicer, SUSE currently builds all of their products based on
the "Factory First" process which is publicly documented here as part
of SUSEs OpenChain certification:

https://opensource.suse.com/suse-open-source-policy
https://www.suse.com/c/news/suse-secures-openchain-certification-meeting-the-new-industry-benchmark-for-a-simplified-open-source-experience/

Whatever we call the openSUSE Project and/or it's Foundation, I do not
think this is liable to change, and in fact I think it's highly likely
that the Foundations could codify some aspects of that relationship
into it's charter. And (unlike the name/trademarks) I see no
controversy in that - SUSE and openSUSE collectively deciding to
formalise it's working relationship even while it may be diverging
it's trademarks could be seen as a win-win to both organisations.
Speculatively speaking of course..

Regards,

Rich