On 6/11/19 8:24 AM, Richard Brown wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 at 14:11, Stefan Seyfried
<stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 11.06.19 um 14:06 schrieb Richard Brown:

But I do think this example illustrates some of the factors we need to
consider on this topic besides the emotive "but we like the current
name" feeling :)

I'd suggest to start thinking about a name change for the project (not the
foundation!, the foundation can be named
whatever you want) once reports of such progress hindering events that happened
to impact the future of the project
because it was still named "openSUSE" have been seen in reality.

Right now that feels to me like (lots of) "Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt".

And the more I read of it, the more I think "no fscking way am I going to support a
name change".

;-)

I understand your point of view.

Hopefully you can understand that there is no way I will ever share
the past examples of sponsorships, service arrangements, or other
contracts that have already fallen apart due to the current "SUSE is
not openSUSE" discrepancy,

I think that should not be an expectation.

which will be no different if we have a
"FOOFoundation is not openSUSE" discrepancy.

This is speculation.

IANAL but one should be able to imaging a charter for the "FOOFoundation" to be written such that any concern about wher ethe money goes is elliviated.

"The FOOFoundation exists for the sole purpose to support the activities of the openSUSE project ....."

And yes this too is speculation as IANL and I certainly have no insight into what goes on in those companies that might want to sponsor openSUSE but have an issue with giving the money to a Foundation of another name.

Later
Robert

Distinguished Architect LINUX
Technical Team Lead Public Cloud