Re: [opensuse-project] Re: Proposal for Decision Making Process for the formation of our Foundation
  • From: Knurpht-openSUSE <knurpht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 20:53:52 +0200
Op maandag 10 juni 2019 17:21:38 CEST schreef Jim Henderson:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 19:11:23 +0930, Simon Lees wrote:
You didn't miss it, we didn't really have it yet other then covering it
at the conference in places, the current plan is rules for membership
will remain the same as at the moment so people giving money won't have
a general impact on decisions like this. They might give us money so the
project can go and do something it hasn't done in the past but that's a
completely different thing.

Thanks, Simon. It strikes me that mentioning something that
controversial might turn some people off to the idea of a foundation to
begin with, so I'm glad to see some clarification around this.

I know for me, it'd be a non-starter, and I also know I'm not alone in
that feeling.
Please let's keep out speculations. And see my post in the admin section of
the forums, Jim. Board does ( and cannot ) change things like some benevolant
ditcatorship. And, please let it be clear that this time it's not a kind of
fork, a kind of openSUSE vs. $SUSE_OWNER, but rather a SUSE welcomed
initiative from the openSUSE community.

But, we do need some legal entity, sooner or later it will be a simple
requirement in many countries. And we do not have much other proper - given
our size and symbiotic relationship with SUSE that we all want to keep (safe)
- options than a Foundation. The current membership is possible, there has
been no discussion in the board about fees, dues. Me would be firmly against
those in an 'over my dead body' manner.

--
Gertjan Lettink a.k.a. Knurpht
openSUSE Board Member